Glenlyon Church


Interior of Glenlyon Church

In the late 18th century, a church was built on the site of the present church, but the present building dates to 1828. It is the smallest of a large number of 'Parliamentary Churches' built throughout the Highlands to a design by Thomas Telford.

The church is harled on the outside, and has plaster and wood paneling inside. There is an oak screen, topped with a small cross, at the rear, separating the vestibule from the body of the kirk.


Stained glass window, Glenlyon Church

At the front, there is one stained glass window, in memory of  Ernest Wills, 3rd Bart. of Meggernie and his wife Maud. It depicts St Andrew in front of his distinctive cross, carrying a couple of fish, and standing on heathery slopes beside a stream, in a landscape not too unlike Glenlyon itself.






Powered by Church Edit